Our group's research focuses on fabricating nanostructured materials by electrospinning and further developing electrospinning technology to solve some of the biggest challenges of our century. Some of the nanomaterials fabricated in the NanoMaterials lab are used as electrode platforms, pharmaceuticals, scaffolds for tissue engineering, energy harvesters, biosensors, composites, skin substitutes.
Our group wholeheartedly pledges to oppose discrimination and hate through active allyship, continuous unlearning, learning, and listening. We will unceasingly improve all forms of inclusion and equity.
Our recent paper was highlighted on the main website of Nature Communications and our image was selected as the 'Hero image'
A fully-funded Ph.D. position is open in the area of 3D bioprinting. Please apply before 17 January 2022.
Self-funded post-doctoral applicants are also welcome to apply to the group. Outstanding applicants can also consider the following scholarships (just a few examples):
A full list of scholarships for post-doctoral researchers can be found here.
53. D. Yang, F. Faraz, J. Wang, N. Radacsi, Combination of 3D Printing and Electrospinning Techniques for Biofabrication, Advanced Materials Technologies, In Press, 2022, doi.org/10.1002/admt.202101309
52. T. Muenwacha, O. Weeranantanapan, N. Chudapongse, F. J. Diaz Sanchez, S. Maensiri, N. Radacsi, W. Nuansing, Fabrication of Piezoelectric Electrospun Termite Nest-like 3D Scaffolds for Tissue Engineering, Materials, 2021, 14, 7684.
51. M. Chung, W. H. Skinner, C. Robert, C. J. Campbell, R. M. Rossi, V. Koutsos, N. Radacsi, Fabrication of a Wearable Flexible Sweat pH Sensor Based on SERS-active Au/TPU Electrospun Nanofibers, ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, 2021, 13, 43, 51504–51518.
50. I. Ismail, N. F. Abu Bakar, H. L. Tan, N. Ideris, Z. M. Zain, S. S. Idris, N. Radacsi, Ultra-sensitive electrosprayed AuNPs decorated PAA/PAN electrospun nanofibers glucose sensor, Journal of Materials Research, 2021, 36, 4317–4328.
49. W. H. Skinner, M. Chung, S. Mitchell, A. Akidil, R. Goodwin, A. Stokes, C. J. Campbell, A SERS-active electrospun polymer mesh for spatially localized pH measurements of the cellular microenvironment, ACS Analytical Chemistry, 2021, 93, 41, 13844–13851.
48. A. Lewis, T. Chen, F. S. Butt, X. Wei, N. Radacsi, X. Fan, Y. Huang, Facile Fabrication of Zeolitic Imidazolate Framework Hollow Fibre Membranes via A Novel Scalable Continuous Fluid Circulation Process, Nanoscale, 2021, 13, 14644-14655.
45. N. F. Abu Bakar, M. H. Hussain, I. Ismail, N. Othman, H. L. Tan, Z. M. Zain, M. N. Naim, N. Radacsi, Electrospun Polyetherimide-Graphene Oxide Nanofiber Electrodes for Enhanced Conductivity, Journal of Fiber Science and Technology, 2021, 77, 136-145.
44. M. H. Hussain, L. P. Fook, M. K. Sanira Putri, H. L. Tan, N. F. Abu Bakar, N. Radacsi, Advances on Ultra-sensitive Electrospun Nanostructured Electrochemical and Colorimetric Sensors for Diabetes Mellitus Detection, Nano Materials Science, 2021, 3, 321-343.
43. M. Waqas, A. Keirouz, M. K. Sanira Putri, F. Faraz, F. J. Diaz Sanchez, M. Waqas, D. Ray, V. Koutsos, N. Radacsi, Design and development of a nozzle-free electrospinning device for the high-throughput production of biomaterial nanofibers, Medical Engineering and Physics, 2021, 92, 80-87.
42. F. Fazal, F. J. Diaz Sanchez, M. Waqas, V. Koutsos, N. Radacsi, A modified 3D printer as a hybrid bioprinting-electrospinning system for use in vascular tissue engineering applications, Medical Engineering and Physics, 2021, 94, 52-60.
41. A. Tsiamis, F. Diaz Sanchez, N. Hartikainen, M. Chung, S. Mitra, Y. C. Lim, H. L. Tan, N. Radacsi, Graphene Wrapping of Electrospun Nanofibers for Enhanced Electrochemical Sensing, ACS Omega, 2021, 6, 16, 10568–10577.
40. L. É. Uhljar, S. Y. Kan, N. Radacsi, V. Koutsos, P. Szabó-Révész, R. Ambrus, In Vitro Drug Release, Permeability, and Structural Test of Ciprofloxacin-Loaded Nanofibers, Pharmaceutics, 2021, 13, 556.
39. T. Chen, F. S. Butt, M. Zhang, X. Wei, A. Lewis, N. Radacsi, A. JC Semiao, J. Han, Y. Huang, Ultra-Permeable Zeolitic Imidazolate Frameworks-intercalated Graphene Oxide Membranes for Unprecedented Ultrafast Molecular Separation, Chemical Engineering Journal, 2021, 419, 129507.
38. M. Zhang, X. Chen, N. Radacsi, New tricks of old drugs: Repurposing non-chemo drugs and dietary phytochemicals as adjuvants in anti-tumor therapies, Journal of Controlled Release, 2021, 329, 96-120.
37. A. Moreira, D. Lawson, L. Onyekuru, K. Dziemidowicz, U. Angkawinitwong, P. F. Costa, N. Radacsi, G. R. Williams, Protein encapsulation by electrospinning and electrospraying, Journal of Controlled Release, 2021, 329, 1172–1197.
34. C. Robert , W. B. Thitasiri , D. Mamalis, Z. E. Hussein, M. Waqas, D. Ray, N. Radacsi, V. Koutsos, Improving through-thickness conductivity of CFRP using CNT/polyethylenimine at the interlaminar region, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2020, e49749.
33. J. McClements, M. Zhang, N. Radacsi, V. Koutsos, Measuring the Interactions between Carbon Black Nanoparticles and Latex Thin Films in Aqueous Media using AFM Force Spectroscopy, Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochemical and Engineering Aspects, 2020, 124920.
31. A. Keirouz, M. Zakharova, J. Kwon, C. Robert, V. Koutsos, A. Callanan, X. Chen, G. Fortunato, N. Radacsi, High-throughput production of Silk fibroin-based electrospun fibers as biomaterial for skin tissue engineering applications, Materials Science & Engineering C, 2020, 110939.
30. H. L. Tan, M. K. Sanira Putri, S. S. Idris, N. Hartikainen, N. F. Abu Bakar, A. Keirouz, N. Radacsi, High-Throughput Fabrication of Carbonized Electrospun Polyacrylonitrile/Poly(acrylic acid) Nanofibers with Additives for Enhanced Electrochemical Sensing, Journal of Applied Polymer Science, 2020, e49341.
29. A. Keirouz, N. Radacsi, Q. Ren, A. Dommann, G. Beldi, K. Maniura‐Weber, R. M. Rossi, G. Fortunato, Nylon-6/Chitosan core/shell antimicrobial nanofibers for the prevention of mesh-associated surgical site infection, Journal of Nanobiotechnology, 2020, 18, 51.
27. A. Keirouz, M. Chung, J. Kwon, G. Fortunato, N. Radacsi, 2D and 3D electrospinning technologies for the fabrication of nanofibrous scaffolds for skin tissue engineering: a review, WIREs Nanomedicine & Nanobiotechnology, 2020, e1655. (Featured Journal Cover)
26. T. Chen, A. Lewis, Z. Chen, X. Fan, N. Radacsi, A. J. C. Semiao, H. Wang, Y. Huang, Smart ZIF-L mesh films with switchable superwettability synthesized via a rapid energy-saving process, Separation and Purification Technology, 2020, 240, 116647.
24. W. Guo, Q. Zhou, J. Zhang, M. Fu, N. Radacsi, Y. Li, Hydrothermal synthesis of Bi-doped SnO2/rGO nanocomposites and the enhanced gas sensing performance to benzene, Sensors and Actuators B: Chemical, 2019, 299, 126959.
23. I. Ismail, N. F. Abu Bakar, H. L. Tan, N. Ideris, Z. H. M. Zain, N. Radacsi, Morphology and Conductivity Evaluation of Electrospun Polyacrylic Acid (PAA) Microfiber, Materials Today: Proceedings, 2019, 17, 574–583.
20. R. Ambrus. A. Alshweiat, I. Csóka, G. Ovari, A. Esmail, N. Radacsi, 3D-printed electrospinning setup for the preparation of loratadine nanofibers with enhanced physicochemical properties, International Journal of Pharmaceutics, 2019, 567, 118455
19. A. Keirouz, G. Fortunato, M. Zhang, A. Callanan, N. Radacsi, Nozzle-free electrospinning of Polyvinylpyrrolidone/Poly(glycerol sebacate) fibrous scaffolds for skin tissue engineering applications, Medical Engineering & Physics, 2019, 71, 56-67.
18. W. Guo, B. Zhao, Q. Zhou, Z. Wang, N. Radacsi, Fe-doped ZnO/reduced graphene oxide nanocomposite with synergic enhanced gas sensing performance for the effective detection of formaldehyde, ACS Omega, 2019, 4, 10252−10262.
17. N. Radacsi, K. P. Giapis, G. Ovari, P. Szabó-Révész, R. Ambrus, Electrospun nanofiber-based niflumic acid capsules with superior physicochemical properties, Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, 2019, 166, 371-378.
15. M. Chung, N. Radacsi, C. Robert, E. D. McCarthy, A. Callanan, N. Conlisk, P. R. Hoskins, V. Koutsos, On the optimization of low-cost FDM 3D printers for accurate replication of patient-specific abdominal aortic aneurysm geometry, 3D Printing in Medicine, 2018, 4, 2.
14. M. Vong, E. Speirs, C. Klomkliang, I. Akinwumi, W. Nuansing, N. Radacsi, Controlled three-dimensional polystyrene nano- and micro-structures fabricated by three-dimensional electrospinning, RSC Advances, 2018, 8, 15501-15512.
12. C. Xiouras*, N. Radacsi*, G. Sturm, G. D. Stefanidis, Microwave-assisted furfural synthesis from D-xylose in the presence of NaCl: Comparison of microwave heating with conventional heating, ChemSusChem, 2016, 9, 2159-2166.
11. W. W. Li, N. Radacsi, H.J.M. Kramer, A.E.D.M. van der Heijden, J. H. ter Horst, Solid Separation from a Mixed Suspension through Electric-Field-Enhanced Crystallization, Angewandte Chemie, 2016, 128, 16322-16325.
10. Cs. Bartos, A. Kukovecz, R. Ambrus, G. Farkas, N. Radacsi, P. Szabó-Révész, Comparison of Static and Dynamic Sonication as Process Intensification for Particle Size Reduction Using a Factorial Design, Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification, 2015, 87, 26-34.
9. N. Radacsi, G. D. Stefanidis, P. Szabó-Révész, R.Ambrus, Analysis of Niflumic Acid Prepared by Rapid Microwave-assisted Evaporation, Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, 2014, 98, 16-21.
7. N. Radacsi, A. E. D. M. van der Heijden, A. I. Stankiewicz, J. H. ter Horst, Nanoparticle generation by intensified solution crystallization using cold plasma, Chemical Engineering and Processing: Process Intensification, 2013, 71, 51-58.
6. N.Radacsi, R. H. B. Bouma, E. L. M. Krabbendam-la Haye, J. H. ter Horst, A. I.Stankiewicz, A. E. D. M. van der Heijden, On the Reliability of Sensitivity TestMethods for Submicron-sized RDX and HMX Particles, Propellants, Explosives and Pyrotechnics, 2013, 38, 761-769.
5. R. Ambrus, N. Radacsi, T. Szunyogh, A. E. D. M. van der Heijden, J. H. ter Horst, P. Szabó-Révész, Analysis of Niflumic Acid Crystals Prepared by Electrospray Crystallization, Journal of Pharmaceutical and Biomedical Analysis, 2013, 76, 1-7.
4. N. Radacsi, Y. L. M. Creyghton, A. E. D. M. van derHeijden, A. I. Stankiewicz, J. H. ter Horst, Cold Plasma Synthesis of High-Quality Organic Nanoparticles at Atmospheric Pressure, Journal of Nanoparticle Research, 2013, 15:1445.
3. N. Radacsi, R. Ambrus, P. Szabó-Révész, A. E. D. M. van der Heijden, J. H. ter Horst, Atmospheric Pressure Cold Plasma Synthesis of Submicron-sized Pharmaceuticals with Improved Physico-chemical Properties, Crystal Growth & Design, 2012, 12, 5090–5095.
2. N. Radacsi, R. Ambrus, T. Szunyogh, P. Szabó-Révész, A. I. Stankiewicz, A. E. D. M. van der Heijden, J. H. ter Horst, Electrospray Crystallization for Nano-sized Pharmaceuticals with Improved Properties, Crystal Growth & Design, 2012, 12, 3514–3520.
1. N. Radacsi, A. I. Stankiewicz, Y. L. M. Creyghton, A. E.D. M. van der Heijden, J. H. ter Horst, Electrospray Crystallization for High-Quality Submicron-Sized Crystals, Chemical Engineering and Technology, 2011, 34, 624-630.
Invited book chapters
1. Chapter 7 - Fabrication of 3D and 4D polymer micro- and nanostructures based on electrospinning in the Elsevier Connect book '3D and 4D Printing of Polymer Nanocomposite Materials: Processes, Applications, and Challenges', 2020, Pages 191-229, Elsevier, ISBN 978-80-1281-680-59
Process Safety and Environmental Issues in Chemical Engineering
In this course, students cover contemporary safety and environmental concerns as they impinge on the practising engineer, the legal and regulatory background to engineering activity, to ensure safe operation of hazardous processes, and the procedures to be followed in seeking a license from the environmental protection agencies for the operation of processes involving prescribed substances. Generation, propagation and the fate of pollutants discharged to the air, to water and to the ground are discussed along with means of mitigating emissions by elimination, substitution and pre-discharge treatment are considered. Methods of identifying process hazards are introduced leading to risk assessment and consequence analysis using hand calculation methods are presented to allow risk assessment and its application to the process industries to be appreciated.
This course discusses the synthesis, characterisation and application of nanomaterials used in Chemical and Biomedical Engineering. The course is open to 4th and 5th year students, plus PhD students are also welcome.
Nanomaterials in Chemical and Biomedical Engineering
In this course, 4th year undergraduate chemical engineering students write a literature review on a topic given by the academic supervisor. The academic supervisor teaches the students on writing literature reviews and often these reviews are published in international peer-reviewed journals. See examples under the 'Publications' part.
Get in Touch
Contact the Radacsi Group regarding their published work, collaborations, consultation, open positions or any other inquires.
Sanderson Building, Edinburgh EH9, UK
WeChat ID: kefehu